State Records Board
The key functions of the Board are to determine State Records' policies and strategic plans and to grant approvals for issuing records management standards and for authorising the disposal of State records.
Section 69 of the State Records Act 1998 provides for a nine-member Board of whom:
- four are to be persons nominated by the Minister who administers the State Records Act, to represent: State law enforcement agencies; local government; the private sector; and the history profession
- two are to be nominated by the Minister who administers the Public Sector Employment and Management Act 2002, to represent departments
- one is to be nominated by the Minister who administers the State Owned Corporations Act 1989, to represent State owned corporations
- one is to be a member or officer of either House of Parliament nominated jointly by the President of the Legislative Council and the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, and
- one is to be a judge of a court of the State nominated by the Chief Justice of New South Wales.
One of the members is to be appointed Chairperson of the Board and the members of the Board elect a Deputy Chairperson. Appointment is for a term of up to three years and members may hold office for no more than two consecutive terms.
The NSW Boards and Committees Guidelines prepared by the Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) state that a Board Charter is not needed if the Board’s operations are covered by establishing legislation for the Board or Committee (Section 3.1). In the case of the Board of the State Records Authority of NSW, the Board’s operations are covered by the State Records Act 1998.
Part 7 of the State Records Act 1998 deals with the Board as follows:
- Section 69 Establishment of the Board;
- Section 70 Functions of the Board; and
- Section 71 Director may attend meetings of the Board.
Schedule 2 of the State Records Act lists the provisions relating to the constitution and procedure of the Board.
Current Board Members
Ms Anne Henderson
Deputy Director, The Sydney Institute
Nominated by Minister administering State Records Act to represent history profession.
19/12/2012 - 18//12/2015
Dr Stephen Choularton
Director, Organic Food and Farmers' Market, Sydney
Nominated by Minister administering State Records Act to represent private sector.
25/1/2012 - 24/1/2015
The Hon Dr Peter Phelps MLC
Nominated jointly by the President of the Legislative Council and the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
14/11/2012 - 13/11/2015
Ms Zoe De Saram
Ministerial and Parliamentary Services
NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet
Nominated by Minister who administers the Public Sector Employment and Management Act 2002, to represent Departments
2/4/2008 - 31/12/2013
The Hon Justice Robert Macfarlan
Nominated by the Chief Justice of New South Wales.
1/1/2011 - 30/12/2014
Ms Robyn Foster
General Manager, Internal Customer Services, NSW Police Force
Nominated by the Minister administering the State Records Act to represent State law enforcement agencies.
2/4/2008 - 31/12/2013
Mr Anthony Lean
Deputy Director General Policy, Policy and Executive Services; DFS
Nominated by the Minister who administers the Public Sector Management Act 2002 to represent departments
31/8/2011 - 30/8/2014
Mr Scott Nash
Councillor, Randwick City Council
Nominated by the Minister who administersthe State Records Act to represent local government
17/10/2012 - 16/10/2015