Using a Keyword Thesaurus
This revised course explains how records classification schemes can be used successfully to title, classify and manage records and provides an opportunity for participants to use thesaurus products to classify records. The course also addresses a range of ways to implement and promote a records classification scheme within an organisation.
This course is suitable for people whose work involves classifying, titling and indexing records using a records classification scheme or thesaurus.
By the end of this course participants should:
- explain records classification and the benefits for managing records
- outline the concepts, rules, relationships, layout and language of the Keyword AAA and Keyword for Councils classification schemes and thesauri
- classifying and title using Keyword AAA and Keyword for Councils, and
- describe strategies for implementing and promoting the use of records classification in your organisation.
Introduction to records classification
- the capture and control of records
- principles of records classification
- the benefits of records classification for managing records.
What is a keyword thesaurus?
- the purpose of a thesaurus in records management
- different types of thesauri, and
- components in a keyword thesauri.
- developing record titles from natural language abstracts of correspondence using the Keyword AAA thesaurus
- developing record titles from pieces of correspondence using the Keyword AAA thesaurus
- developing record titles from natural language abstracts using Keyword for Councils.
Implementing records classification
- identify the different ways that records classification can be used in the organisation
- strategies for implementing records classification, and
- implementation issues, and
- monitoring and review of the records classification scheme.
- 6 February - Queens Square, Sydney
- 20 March - Albury
- 17 May - Queens Square, Sydney
- 24 July - Queens Square, Sydney
- 4 September - Lismore
- 4 December - Queens Square, Sydney
1 day; 9.00am - 4.00pm
$330 (includes GST). Discounts available.
Note: This course is delivered on State Records' behalf by Synercon Management Consulting. All training, enrolment processing and invoicing is carried out by Synercon Management Consulting.