State Records Home
Personal tools
You are here :: Home The State Archives Digital Gallery Lachlan Macquarie: visionary and builder Explorations Transcript - Public notice about Macquarie's journey over the Blue Mountains (4 of 15)
The State Archives
 

Transcript - Public notice about Macquarie's journey over the Blue Mountains (4 of 15)

Dated 10 June 1815 Describing Macquarie's recent 'tour' over the Blue Mountains and Bathurst. William Cox was given the task of overseeing the roadworks. It was on this road the Macquarie embarked on his 'tour' with his wife, Elizabeth, among the party. NRS 1046 [SZ759, page 103; Reel 6038]

103

of this arduous work, which promises to

be of the greatest public utility, by opening a

new source of wealth to the industrious and

enterprizing. When it is considered that Mr

Cox voluntarily relinquished the comforts of his

own house, and the society of his numerous

family, and exposed himself to much personal

fatigue, with only such temporary covering as

a bark hut could afford from the inclemency

of the season, it is difficult to express the

sentiments of approbation to which such pri

vations and services are entitled.

 

Mr Cox having report the Road as completed

on the 21st of January, the Governor, accompanied

by Mrs Macquarie, and that Gentleman, com-

menced his Tour on the 25th of April last, over

the Blue Mountains, and was joined by

Sir John Jamieson at the Nepean, who ac-

companied him during the entire Tour. – The

following Gentlemen composed the Governor’s

Suite; Mr Campbell, Secretary; Capt. Antill,

Major of Brigade; Lieut. Watts, Aid-de-Camp;

Mr Redfern, Assistant Surgeon; Mr Oxley,

Surveyor General; Mr Meehan, Deputy Surveyor

General; Mr Lewin, Painter and Naturalist;

and Mr G. W. Evans, Deputy Surveyor of Lands,

who had been sent forward for the purpose of

making further discoveries, and rejoined the

party on the day of Arrival at Bathurst Plains.

 

The commencement of the ascent from

Emu Plains to the first Depot, and thence

to a resting place, now called ‘Spring Wood’,

distant 12 miles from Emu Ford, was through

a very handsome open Forest of lofty trees,

and much more practicable and easy than

was expected. The facility of the ascent for

this distance excited surprize, and is certain

ly not well calculated to give the traveller a

 

just