A police station was established at Annandale in 1884, located within the Metropolitan District. The station was staffed by one mounted superintendent, one mounted senior sergeant and four mounted constables plus one senior sergeant and four constables of foot. (1) By 31 December 1887 its staff had been reduced to one ordinary foot constable. (2)
By 31 December 1888 this had increased to two ordindary constables. (3) By 30 June 1902 estimates had been prepared of proposed resumptions for a police station at Annandale. (4) The new police station opened in 1905. (5) By 31 December 1908 the staff of the station had increased to two senior constables and six constables of foot. (6)
During 1967 the Police premises, formerly occupied as a Police Station but used for some time only as a Police Residence, were re-opened to replace the Camperdown Police Station on Parramatta Road, which were closed down because of inadequate accommodation. (7)
On 14 January 1981 the charge was transferred to Balmain. (8)
1. Police Department, Report for 1884, pp.1, 3 in NSW Votes and Proceedings, 1885 Vol. 1, p.165.
2. Police Department, Report for 1887, pp.2-3 in NSW Votes and Proceedings, 1887-8 Vol.4, pp.1204-1205.
3. Police Department, Report for 1888, pp.2-3 in NSW Votes and Proceedings, 1889 Vol.5, pp.958-959.
4. Department of Public Works, Annual Report, 1901-1902, p.113.
5. Max Solling and Peter Reynolds, Leichhardt, On the Margins of the City: A Social History of Leichhardt and the former municipalities of Annandale, Balmain and Glebe. St Leonards, NSW; Allen & Unwin, 1997, p.194.
6. Police Department, Report for 1909, p.29 in NSW Parliamentary Papers, 1910 Vol.2, p.29.
7. Police Department, Report for 1967, p.6 in NSW Parliamentary Papers 1968-69 Vol.4, p.94.
8. Information recorded in the Concise Guide to the State Archives of NSW. 2nd edition. 1992.