The Sydney Harbour Transport Board was established to administer and maintain ferry services on the harbour (1).by the Sydney Harbour Transport Act, 1951 (Act No.11, 1951), which was assented to on 20 June 1951. (2). To carry out this function the Act had the provision for the purchase by the Board of certain assets of Sydney Ferries Limited (3).
The Board consisted of three members: the Director of Transport and Highways, the President of the Maritime Services Board, and the Under Secretary of the Treasury (4).
Under the provisions of the Act the Board had the authority to:
(a) continue existing ferry services ferry services previously carried out by Sydney Harbour Ferries Ltd.
(b) to extend, alter or discontinue existing ferry services.
(c) to establish new ferry services.
(d) to acquire or lease any vessels or machinery needed to conduct it business.
(e) to construct any works or acquire or lease any land to conduct its business (5).
The Sydney Harbour Transport Board was dissolved on 1 December 1974 under the provisions of the Public Transport Commission and Sydney Harbour Transport (Amendment) Act, 1974 (Act No.81, 1974). The ownership of ferries and other assets were transferred to the Public Transport Commission of New South Wales (6).
1. Concise Guide to the New South Wales State archives
2. Sydney Harbour Transport Act, 1951
3. Sydney Harbour Transport Act, 1951
4. Op Cit, section 4
5. Op Cit, section 6
6. Loc Cit, Concise Guide