On 13 January 1874, the NSW Government Gazette published a petition signed by one hundred residents proposing the establishment of the Municipality of Ulladulla. (1) The petition proposed the municipality consist of three wards: Nurrawallee, Milton, and Ulladulla. The petition stated the municipality’s population was over 1500 and the area was greater than fifty square miles. (2) The Municipality of Ulladulla was proclaimed on 14 April 1874. (3)
Elections for aldermen and auditors took place on 20 June 1874. The elected aldermen for the Ward of Nurrawallee were Henry Millard, Thomas M’Gee, and Edward Kendall. Aldermen for the Ward of Milton were Roger Seecombe, David Warden (a Justice of the Peace), and John Evans. Those elected aldermen for the Ward of Ulladulla were Miles Berry, William Walter Ewen (a Justice of the Peace), and David Boag. The elected auditors were Frederick Hall and John Croft. (4)
On 1 July 1948, the Municipality of Ulladulla merged with the Municipalities of Berry, Nowra, Broughton’s Vale, South Shoalhaven, and the shires of Cambewarra and Clyde to form the Shoalhaven Shire Council. (5)
1. NSW Government Gazette, 13 January 1874, p.65.
2. loc. cit.
3. NSW Government Gazette, 14 April 1874, pp.1079-80.
4. NSW Government Gazette, 30 June 1874, p.2051.
5. NSW Government Gazette, 23 June 1948, p.1501.