In accordance with the Municipalities Act of 1867 a petition, signed by six hundred and fifty persons, was presented to the Governor requesting the incorporation of the Municipal District of Broken Hill (1). As the petition remained unchallenged, the incorporation of the Municipal District of Broken Hill was declared on 22 September, 1888 (2).
This District, totalling 26 square miles incorporated the following area: the County of Yancowinna; the parishes of Alma, Soudan, Nadbuck, Picton and Bolaira; and included the towns of Willyama and Alma (3). The District was soon was divided into four Wards, as per request by a second petition, these being Burke, Sturt, Willis and King Wards (4,5).
The first election took place on Saturday, 24 November, 1888, with Charles George Gibson as Returning Officer (6). The following were elected Aldermen:-
a) King Ward:
Richard Piper, also later elected mayor; Zebina Lane; Clarence Albert Duff.
b) Burke Ward:
Edward Ryan; Richard Cornish; Denis Creedon.
c) Sturt Ward:
Frederick Alexander Chapple; Richard N. Thomas; George John Morgan.
d) Wills Ward:
John Joseph Williams;
Henry Evans Jones (7,8).
The Council appears to have been renamed the Municipality of Broken Hill following the passage of An Act to Consolidate the laws relating to municipalities, 1897 (Act no 23, 1897) [6 December, 1897]
The Municipality of Broken Hill, being able to fulfil the conditions set to constitute a city according to the Local Government Act No.56, 1906, was proclaimed a City in July 1907, the only Municipality to do so under the 1906 Act (9,10).
On 1 July, 1993 the City Coiuncil was renamed Broken Hill City Council following the proclamation of the Local Governemt Act, 1993. (11)
(1) NSW Government Gazette, 2 May, 1888, pp 3123 - 3131.
(2) NSW Government Gazette, 24 September, 1888, p 6729.
(3) ibid, p 6729.
(4) NSW Government Gazette, 25 September, 1888, pp 6779 - 6780.
(5) NSW Government Gazette, 26 October, 1888, pp 7507 - 7508.
(6) ibid, p 7583.
(7) NSW Government Gazette, 11 December, 1888, p 8793.
(8) NSW Government Gazette, 18 December, 1888, p 8983.
(9) NSW Government Gazette, 17 July, 1907, p 4000.
(10) Larcombe, F A, The Stabilization of Local Government in New South Wales 1858-1906: A History of Local Government in New South Wales, Volume 2, Sydney, 1976, p 298.
(11) NSW Government Gazette 1 July, 1993. Special Supplement p. 3341