On 29 September 1886, the Government Gazette published a petition from 635 residents requesting a Municipality to be established in the District of Hurstville. The population within the proposed area consisted of approximately 1,051 people and the area, approximately 8,500 acres. (1) On 25 March 1887 the NSW Government Gazette published a proclamation declaring the Municipal District of Hurstville. The new Municipality comprised of the county of Cumberland, parish of St.
The first Returning Officer of the Municipality was Locrin Tiddy. The first election took place on Wednesday 15 June 1887 in the 'Blue Post Inn' Hurstville. (3)
A further petition on 4 November 1887 requested that there were not less than 2,000 inhabitants within the boundaries of the Municipality, and that the interests of rate payers would be greatly forwarded by the division of the Municipal District into three wards and governed by the following Aldermen: Alex Milsop, Charles Howard, J.W. Bibby, F.P Tidswell, James Peake, Alfred E Gannon, William J. Humphrey, Hugh Patrick and Mules McRae. (4)
On 29 December 1887, the Municipality was declared into three wards. 1) Bexley Ward: County of Cumberland Parish of St George. Commencing on the north-eastern boundary of the Municipality at the intersection with the Illawarra Railway Line. 2) Hurstville Ward: County of Cumberland, parish of St. George. Commencing on the north-western boundary of the Municipality at the bridge over Woolli Creek. 3) Peakhurst Ward: County of Cumberland, parish of St George. Commencing on the north-western boundary of the Municipality at the western corner of Hurstville Ward. (5)
On 14 February 1888, the following Aldermen were elected: Myles McRae (Bexley Ward), John Sproule (Hurstville Ward) and Charles Fripp (Peakhurst Ward). Alexander Milsop was elected Major on 15 February 1888. (6)
On 30 March 1893, the Governor stated that the boundaries defined by the proclamation on 29 December 1887 were proven to be defective. The Governor with the advice of the Executive Council revoked and cancelled the proclamation. Under a new proclamation the area was constituted a Municipality under the name of the Municipal District of Hurstville and divided into three wards: Bexley, Hurstville and Peakhurst. (7)
On 28 June 1900, a further proclamation declared the area of the Municipal District of Hurstville shall be separated from the Municipality and named the Borough of Bexley. The area of land separated comprised of the county of Cumberland, parish of St George, area about 3 square miles commencing at the intersection of a line along the centre of Harrow Road with a line along the centre of the Illawarra Railway and bounded by a line along the centre of the road north-westerly to the intersection with a line along the centre of Forest Road, by that line north-easterly to a south-western boundary f the municipal district of West Botany. By that boundary north-westerly to Wolli Creek by that creek upwards to the centre of Sharp Street by a line along the centre of that street south-easterly to the centre of Stony Creek Road thence a line along the centre of that road south-westerly along the centre of Kingsgrove Road. South-easterly to the south-eastern side of Forest Road by that side of that road north-easterly to the north-eastern boundary of Hurstville Hill Estate. By that boundary south-easterly to the centre of the Illawarra Railway and by a line along the centre of that railway north-easterly to the point of commencement. (8)
A second proclamation on 28 June 1900 declared the Municipality of Hurstville divided into two wards: Hurstville and Peakhurst. (9) On 10 September 1908, the Governor according to the Local Government Act of 1906 divided the Municipality into 4 wards: Hurstville, Woodville, Peakhurst and Penshurst. (10)
On 2 August 1922, according to the Local Government Act 1919, part of the Hurstville Municipality was transferred to the Sutherland Shire. After the division Hurstville Municipality consisted of 6,043 acres. (11) On 5 December 1924 part of Canterbury Municipality was transferred to Hurstville, once again altering the boundaries. (12)
On 16 December 1930, a proclamation stated that as from 1 January 1931 the boundaries of the Hurstville Municipality would be altered. Part of the land belonging to Hurstville was given to Kogarah Municipality. After the division Hurstville Municipality consisted of 6,120 acres. (13).
On 25 November 1988 Hurstville was proclaimed a city. (14) In 2002, the city consists of 25 square kilometres and a population of 7,2217. The city is still divided into 3 wards: Penshurst, Peakhurst and Hurstville. (15)
1) NSW Government Gazette 22 September 1886 p.6445.
2) NSW Government Gazette 28 March 1887 p.2235.
3) NSW Government Gazette 11 May 1887 p3223. Note: A proclamation on 28 April 1887 declared that the first election day would be held on Wednesday 18 May 1887. (NSW Government Gazette 29 April 1887 p.2889.) The second has been considered more likely to be accurate.
4) NSW Government Gazette 4 November 1887 p7403.
5) NSW Government Gazette 20 February 1887 p.1404.
6) NSW Government Gazette 5 April 1893 p.26665.
7) NSW Government Gazette 29 December 1887 p.8603.
8) NSW Government Gazette 29 June 1900 p.5039.
9) Ibid p.5040.
10) NSW Government Gazette 16 September 1908 p.4984.
11) NSW Government Gazette 4 August 1922 p.4338.
12) NSW Government Gazette 5 December 1924 p.5462.
13) NSW Government Gazette 19 December 1930 p.4945.
14) NSW Government Gazette 25 November 1988 p6070.
15) Hurstville Council website http://www.lgsa.org.au/gov/council.cfm