This Committee was responsible for the formation of sewers in the City, regulating the construction of house drains and their connection to the sewers, and approval of plans and specifications of sewers.
It was originally called the Committee of Sewers and City Improvements but seems to have operated separately and later came to be known as the Sewerage Committee. The first meeting was held on 22 May 1857.
The Board of Water Supply and Sewerage was established in 1888 but did not take over the management of sewerage until 24 December 1889.
[From City of Sydney Archives - Agency Registration No. 117. Used with permission]