Maroubra Junction Girls Junior High School in County Cumberland opened in January 1962. Junior High Schools were separate secondary schools which offered junior secondary education only. The School continued with this status until October 1969 when it became Maroubra Junction Girls High School. High Schools offered an academic course to a selected intake of pupils. During the period that this high school operated they became increasingly become comprehensive.
From January 1981, the School became a co-educational school and was known as Maroubra Junction High School. The School was renamed Maroubra High School from January 1990 and retained this status until its closure in December 2002.(2)
Government Schools of New South Wales 1848 to 2003, NSW Department of Education and Training, 2003.