Erina Shire was established on 7 March 1906 under the Local Government (Shires) Act 1905 (Act No.33).(1) The Act introduced the Shire as an independent rural unit of local government.
Section 7 of the Local Government (Shires) Act provided for the appointment of a provisional council. These temporary councils of five members were to prepare for council elections, including the preparation of lists and rolls of electors.(2)
The Shire of Erina (Shire No. 50) was bound by the South Pacific Ocean, Lake Macquarie, the Land District of Maitland, and the Hawkesbury River and excluded the Municipality of Gosford.(3) The Shire was divided into six Ridings.
On 23 January 1908, the Municipality of Gosford [I] was united with Erina Shire.(4) The former Municipality of Gosford became Riding F of Erina Shire, resulting in changes to Erina’s Ridings.(5) The election of councillors for the reconstituted Erina Shire was to be held on 29 February 1908.(6)
The Local Government Act of 1919 provided for the establishment of County Councils by whole, groups of, or parts of municipalities and shires to perform nominated functions delegated by the Councils concerned. Erina Shire combined with Woy Woy Shire and Gosford Municipality to form the Brisbane Water County Council to provide electricity to the three local government areas from 16 October 1942.(7)
The role of the Brisbane Water County Council included the construction extension, protection, maintenance, control and management of works for the supply of electricity; the supply of electricity; supply and installation of electrical fittings and appliances; and to grant permission for other parties to supply electric current to the public. Erina Shire provided three representatives to the Brisbane Water County Council.(8)
Part of Erina Shire was removed on 1 August 1928 to form Woy Woy Shire.(9) Erina Council was required to transfer to the Woy Woy Provisional Council all certificates, deeds, documents and records for property now located in the new Shire as well as extracts from electoral and rate-payer rolls. The formation of Woy Woy Shire resulted in changes to Erina Shire’s Ridings D and E and a reduction in the number of councillors constituting the Council of Erina from seven to six.(10)
On 18 March 1932 changes to the Shire boundaries of Erina and Woy Woy were Gazetted. Part of the Shire of Erina was transferred to the Shire of Woy Woy and part of the Shire of Woy Woy was transferred to the Shire of Erina.(11)
Erina Shire was further reduced in size from 24 October 1936 when five and a-half square miles were taken from the Shire to create the Municipality of Gosford.(10) Erina Council was required to transfer to Gosford’s Provisional Council all certificates, deeds, documents and records for property now located in the new Shire as well as extracts from electoral and rate-payer rolls. The formation of Woy Woy Shire resulted in changes to Erina Shire’s Ridings D and E.(12)
On 17 May 1940, an additional area of Erina Shire was removed and added to the Municipality of Gosford.(13)
On 1 January 1947, two new Shires were created from the former Municipality of Gosford and the former Shires of Erina and Woy Woy. As a result, Erina Shire ceased to exist on 1 January 1947 when the Shire was absorbed into the two Shires of Gosford and Wyong.(14)
1. NSW Government Gazette No.121, 7 March 1906, p1609; Lambley, DB, A Key to the Historical Geography of Local Government Areas in New South Wales, Geographical Society of NSW and the NSW Department of Local Government, Sydney, 1989, p26.
2. Local Government (Shires) Act 1905 (Act No.33, 1905), section 7.
3. NSW Government Gazette No.121, 7 March 1906, p1609.
4. NSW Government Gazette No.4, 15 January 1908, p281.
5. ibid., pp290-291.
6. ibid., p290.
7. See Agency No.3490.
8. Report of the Energy Authority of New South Wales for the year ending 30 June, 1980, p29.
9. NSW Government Gazette No.97, 27 July 1928, p3532.
10. loc. cit.
11. NSW Government Gazette No.35, 18 March 1932, pp986-987.
12. NSW Government Gazette No.166, 23 October 1936, p4401.
13. loc. cit.
14. NSW Government Gazette No.76, 17 May 1940, p2199.
15. NSW Government Gazette No.145, 20 December 1946, pp2967-2970.