The Municipalities Act 1867 provided for the constitution of a Municipality on receipt of a petition signed by at least 50 persons who would be taxed in respect of property or household residence within the area to be incorporated.(1) On 15 July 1885, a petition signed by 300 persons was published in the New South Wales Government Gazette petitioning for the establishment of the Municipal District of Kogarah under the Municipalities Act of 1867.(2) The petition was published again in the Ne
The Municipal District of Kogarah was proclaimed on 23 December 1885 and the District’s boundaries commenced at the intersection of the Illawarra Railway Line with the northern shore of George’s River, then northerly and easterly along the Railway Line to its intersection with Harrow Road, then south-easterly to its intersection with Rocky Point Road, then along the Road to George’s River, and then along the River upwards to the point of commencement.(4)
The first meeting of Kogarah’s municipal council was held at the Gardners Arms Hotel in 1886.(5) In 1912, new Council Chambers opened on the current site.(6)
The Municipal District was arrarently re-named the Municipality of Kogarah following the passage of An Act to Consolidate the laws relating to municipalities, 1897 (Act no 23, 1897) [6 December, 1897]
Parts of Rockdale Municipality were transferred to Kogarah Municipality on 22 December 1916 (7) and on 1 January 1969.(8)
In December 1920, Kogarah combined with the Councils of Rockdale, Hurstville, and Bexley to form the St George County Council. The County Council was established to provide electricity to the Kogarah, Rockdale, Hurstville, and Bexley areas.(9) St George County Council ceased to exist on 1 January 1980 when it amalgamated with the Sydney County Council.(10)
In 2003, Kogarah’s population was approximately 50,000 spread over 19.21 square kilometres. The Municipality was divided into four wards: north, middle, east, and west.(11) Three councillors were elected from each ward and these councillors elected the mayor. The mayor is responsible for exercising (in case of necessity) the policy-making function of council between meetings, exercising other functions delegated by council, presiding at council meetings, carrying out civic and ceremonial duties.(12)
1. An Act to Establish Municipalities, 1867 (31 Victoria Act No.12), s.10.
2. NSW Government Gazette No.287, 15 July 1885, p4517; the petition was again published in the NSW Government Gazette on 2 October 1885 (No.448).
3. NSW Government Gazette No.448, 2 October 1885, p6475.
4. NSW Government Gazette No.638, 23 December 1885, p8341.
5. Kogarah Municipal Council’s website (accessed on 30 October 2003) www.kogarah.nsw.gov.au/site/AboutKogarah/history.htm
6. Kogarah Municipal Council’s website (accessed on 30 October 2003) www.kogarah.nsw.gov.au/site/AboutKogarah/history.htm
7. NSW Government Gazette No.223, 22 December 1916, pp7672-7673.
8. NSW Government Gazette No.120, 11 October 1968, pp4051-4053.
9. Department of Local Government Annual Report for the year ended 30 June 1921, p29 in NSW Parliamentary Papers 1921, Vol.3, p37.
10. Energy Authority of New South Wales report for the year ending 30 June 1980, p29.
11. Kogarah Municipal Council’s website (accessed on 30 October 2003) www.kogarah.nsw.gov.au/site/AboutKogarah/history.htm
12. Kogarah Municipal Council’s website (accessed on 11 November 2003) www.kogarah.nsw.gov.au/site/YourMayor/aboucoun.htm