South Sydney Boys' Junior High School in the County of Cumberland was established in January 1955. A junior high school was one which taught the curriculum to Intermediate Certificate level, usually concentrating on a vocational rather than an academic program.
The School converted to a High School at the beginning of 1957. High schools taught the full secondary syllabus to Leaving Certificate (later Higher School Certificate) level usually covering the more academic curriculum and giving a wider subject choice for the pupils. In January 1959 the School was renamed Maroubra Bay High School.
Maroubra Bay High School closed in December 1990.
Note that there was also a South Sydney Boys' High School (2) also located at Maroubra. This commenced in 1953. The two should not be confused.