The Housing Act 1985 (Act No.163, 1985) effective from 1 January, 1986, established the Department of Housing and the New South Wales Land and Housing Corporation.
The Department of Housing integrated the following former agencies:
the Housing Commission of New South Wales
the Land Commission of New South Wales
the Home Purchase Advisory Service (formerly a section of the Department of Co-operative Societies)
Mortgage Relief Scheme (previously with the Minister for Consumer Affairs). (1)
In February 1986 the Rental Board Branch was transferred to the Department of Housing from the Department of Consumer Affairs. (2)
On 1 November 1987 the head office of the department was relocated from Sydney to Liverpool necessitating administrative change including decentralisation of the production teams and public contact activities including allocation and application. (3)
On 25 March 1988 the Governor proclaimed that the following units of the Department of Consumer Affairs were transferred to the Department of Housing -
Building Services Corporation,
Council of Auctioneers and Agents,
Fairs Rents Board,
Real Estate Valuers Registration Board,
Residential Tenancies Tribunal,
Strata Titles Board, and
Supervisor of Loan Fund Companies. (4)
On 11 May 1988 a similar proclamation removed the Licensing Branch from the Department of Business and Consumer Affairs and placed it in the Department of Housing, simultaneously the Government and Real Estate Branch was removed from the Department of Housing and transferred to the Department of Administrative Services. (5)
In 1994 the Department of Housing underwent major changes to its structure and functions and began to direct its resources towards public housing activities. (6)
The Department fulfilled the following major functions:
Public Rental Housing;
Private Rental Services;
Services for Tenants;
Aboriginal Housing; and
Community Housing. (7)
On 7 April 2003 the businesslink branches of the Department of Community Services and the Department of Ageing, Disability and Homecare were transferred to the Deoartment of Housing. (8)
On 11 June 2008 the name of the Department of Housing was changed to Housing NSW. (9)
From 1 July 2009 Housing NSW was abolished as a department and its functions were transferred to the Housing NSW [II] branch of the new Principal Department, the Department of Human Services.
(1) NSW Department of Housing First Report, 1986 p.7.
(2) NSW Public Service Notices, 19 March, 1986, p.4.
(3) Department of Housing Annual report for the year ended 30 June, 1988 p.3.
(4) NSW Public Service Notices, 13/04/1988 p.8.
(5) NSW Public Service Notices., 25/05/1988, p.5.
(6) NSW Government Directory, 1994 p.196-198.
(7) Ibid. p.196.
(8) Public Sector Employment and Management (NSW businesslink) Order 2003 in NSW Government Gazette, 4 April 2003, p.4422.
(9) Public Sector Employment and Management (Housing NSW) Order 2008 in NSW Government Gazette No.68, 13 June 2008, pp.4787-4788.
(10) Public Sector Employment and Management (Departmental Amalgamations) Order 2009 (2009 No 352) cls. [nos.]; notified on NSW Legislation website, 27 July 2009.