The Newcastle Port Corporation, was established by the Ports Corporatisation and Waterways Management Act, 1995 (Act No.13, 1995) on 1 July 1995. (1) The new corporation was a successor to the Maritime Services Board Hunter Ports Authority, however, the new agency was managed as a commercial business, under the terms of the State Owned Corporations Amendment Act 1995 (Act No.32,1995).
The Corporation was responsible for management of the Port of Newcastle including the erection and maintenance of facilities and equipment, the daily operation of the port, piloting and berthing ships, loading and unloading cargo, constant dredging of the port to maintain safety channels, environmental management and provision of safety equipment. (3)
From 1 July 2009 when the Ministry of Transport was abolished the Newcastle Port Corporation became a branch of the new Principal Department, the Department of Transport and Infrastructure. (4) The name of this department was changed to Transport NSW from 1 July 2010. (5)
From 4 April 2011 when the name of Transport NSW was changed the Newcastle Port Corporation became a branch of the Department of Transport. (6)
1. New South Wales Government Gazette No.79, 30 June 1995, p.3435.
2. Annual Report of the Office of Marine Safety and Port Strategy and the Marine Ministerial Holding Corporation, year ended 30 June 1996, p.4.
3. Report of the Newcastle Port Corporation for the year ended 30 June, 1996 (summary).
4. Public Sector Employment and Management (Departmental Amalgamations) Order 2009 (2009 No 352) cls. 34; notified on NSW Legislation website, 27 July 2009.
5. Transport Administration Amendment Act 2010 (Act No.31, 2010) Sch. 1.2  amending the Public Sector Employment and Management Act 2002 (Act No.43, 2002) Sch. 1; Commencement Proclamation (2010 No 294); notified on NSW Legislation website, 25 June 2010.
6. Public Sector Employment and Management (Departments) Order 2011 (2011 No 184) cls. 44; notified on NSW Legislation website, 3 April 2011.