As a result of administrative problems the Government re-organised the management of public transport services into smaller units. On 1 July 1980 (4), the Transport Authorities Act, 1980 (Act No.103, 1980) provided for the abolition of the Public Transport Commission and the establishment of the State Rail Authority, with a Railway Workshop Board subsidiary, and an Urban Transport Authority.
The State Rail Authority was reconstituted on 16 January 1989 under the Transport Administration Act (No.109, 1988) (5) and continued to operate the railway services provided prior to this Act.
The rail industry was restructured on 1 July 1996 by the Transport Administration Amendment (Rail Corporatisation and Restructuring) Act 1996 (Act No.56, 1996). (6) This Act divided the State Rail Authority into four new independent businesses, namely:
. Rail Access Corporation which was the owner of the rail infrastructure with the responsibility for negotiating use of the track by rail operators and funding the upkeep of the track
. Rail Services Authority with the function of maintaining railway tracks under contract to Rail Access Corporation and was responsible for construction services, as well as rolling stock overhaul and repair
. Freight Rail Corporation which was a commercial business, providing competitive freight services throughout New South Wales, and owning and maintaining its own rolling stock and locomotives
. a new State Rail Authority which provided city and country passenger rail services throughout NSW and responsible for train control under contract to the Rail Access Corporation . (7)
1. New South Wales Government Gazette No.37, 22 March 1932, p.1403.
2. New South Wales Government Gazette No.169, 25 November 1932, p.4184.
3. New South Wales Government Gazette No.110, 20 October 1972, p.4115.
4. Transport Authorities Act 1980 (Act No.103, 1980), Part 1, s.2.
5. New South Wales Government Gazette No.3, 16 January 1989, p.275.
6. New South Wales Government Gazette No.80, 1 July 1996, p.3795.
7. State Rail Authority Annual Report, year ended 30 June 1996, p.47.
Disposal Recommendation (DR 3479)
State Rail Authority, Annual Reports, 1984-1986, 1992-1996.