Waradgery was constituted as a Shire on 7 March 1906, under the Local Government (Shires) Act, 1905. (1)
This Act provided for a Temporary Council of up to five members who, within six months, were obliged to make the necessary preparations for the election of the first Council. Waradery’s Temporary Shire Councillors were: Solomon Bennett of Booligal; George Tempest Esplin of Merool; James Houston of Budgewah, Hay; James William Lugsdin of Belaley, via Hay; and Charles Gideon Stewart of Wooloondool. (2)
The first elections saw J. Houston, C. Stewart, G. Horton, J. W. Lugsdin, G.T. Esplin and J. Donohoe elected to the Waradgery Shire Council. (3)
The Waradgery Shire surrounded the Municipal District of Hay and consisted of 3669 square miles. Its borders stretched approximately 70 miles north, 23 miles south, 24 miles east, and 51 miles west. These dimensions remained unchanged until 1959 when 693 square miles were added to the western side. The Shire Council dealt with matters such as: public works, subdivisions and road and bridge construction. (4)
In 1965 the Hay Municipal Council and Waradgery Shire Council amalgamated to form the Hay Shire Council. (5)
1. NSW Government Gazette, 7 March 1906, p.1636.
2. NSW Government Gazette, 16 May 1906, pp.2979-2985.
3. Ringer, Tales of Hay and the Western Riverina, Hay Historical Society, 2004, pp. 26-27.
4. Ibid., pp. 26-27.
5. NSW Government Gazette No.128, 13 November 1964, pp.3592-3594.