The Municipalities Act of 1867 (Act 31 Vic. No.12) provided that a Municipality may be created following the petition to the Governor by at least fifty future ratepayers which was subsequently published in the NSW Government Gazette. Ninety-eight petitioners requested the formation of a municipality of 1-¾ square miles which contained a population of 500 people.
In January 1886 the Municipality was divided into four wards: east, middle, west and north. (5)
As a result of a petition by two-thirds of the ratepayers in the Annandale district an area of approximately 336 acres was separated from the Municipality of Leichhardt to become the borough of Annandale. (6) The Borough of Annandale was established on 1 February 1894. (7)
In 1913 approximately six acres of land adjoining Callan Park Asylum grounds was transferred from Leichhardt Council to Balmain. The altered boundaries were proclaimed in the NSW Government Gazette of 3 September 1913. (8)
The Municipality of Leichhardt was dissolved under the Local Government (Areas) Act, 1948 (Act No 30, 1948). Although the Act was proclaimed to commence on 1 January 1949 some time elapsed before the transfer of assets and liabilities and other administrative details were organised. (9)
1. NSW Government Gazette No.204, 16 August 1871, p.1799.
2. NSW Government Gazette No.204, 16 August 1871, p.1799; No.317, 29 December 1871, p.2949; No. 42, 13 February 1872, p.390; No.51, 20 February 1872, p.466.
3. NSW Government Gazette No.74, 8 March 1872, p.627; No.113, 19 April 1872, p.1061; No.129, 10 May 1872, p.1212.
4. NSW Government Gazette No.150, 29 May 1872, p.1383-97.
5. NSW Government Gazette No.16, 12 January 1886, pp.235-6.
6. NSW Government Gazette No.2, 2 January 1894, p.3.
7. NSW Government Gazette No.56, 25 January 1894, p.583.
8. NSW Government Gazette No.143, 3 September 1913, p.5486.
9. Local Government (Areas) Act, 1948 (Act No.30, 1948) s.6 and Schedule 1.