Between 1788 and 1842 about 80,000 convicts were transported to New South Wales. Of these, approximately 85% were men and 15% were women. Almost two thirds of convicts were English (along with a small number of Scottish and Welsh), with the Irish making up the remaining one third. Convicts were usually given sentences of transportation for seven, 14 years or life. Some convicts in the 1830s received ten-year sentences. About one quarter of the convicts were sentenced to 'the term of their natural lives', and a proportion of these had reprieves from the death sentence.
- Total entries in the index: 140,000+
Record series in the index
Certificates of Freedom, 1823-1869
When mentioned in the body of the Certificate, cross-references are given to previous and subsequent Certificate of Freedom, Conditional Pardon and Ticket of Leave numbers, aliases, and the names of spouses and occasionally other family members.
Convict Bank Accounts, 1837-1870
- NRS 12221 (Reels 595-597)
Tickets of Exemption from Government Labor, 1827-32
Tickets of Leave, Certificates of Emancipation and Pardons, 1810-19
Tickets of Leave, 1810-1875
- NRS 1166 (Reel 601), NRS 12200 (Reel 890), NRS 12202 (Reels 909-965, 893), NRS 12207 (Reels 891-893)
This index was compiled by Dr Perry McIntyre. The index is published on State Records' website with the permission of Perry McIntyre, who also retains the copyright. State Records wishes to acknowledge the contribution of Perry McIntyre in compiling this index.
Tickets of Leave Passports, 1835-1869
- NRS 12204 (Reels 966-981)
A Volunteer Project.
Convict Death Register, 1828-1879
- NRS 12213 (Reels 690). Each entry in the register is a one-line entry only.
P-Z of the index was compiled by Mrs Kaye Vernon and Mrs Billie Jacobson. State Records wishes to acknowledge their contribution to this joint initiative.
Recommendations for Absolute and Conditional Pardons, 1826-1856
Convict Pardons, 1791-1873
- NRS 1160 (Reel 771), NRS 1161 (Reel 772), NRS 1165 (Reels 601, 669, 774), NRS 1170 (Reel 774), NRS 1171 (Reel 774), NRS 1172 (Reels 775-796, 3037), NRS 1173 (Reels 797-798), NRS 1175 (Reel 799), NRS 1176 (Reel 799), NRS 1177 (Reel 800), NRS 1179 (Reel 800), NRS 1180 (Reel 800), NRS 1181 (Reel 801)
A Volunteer Project.
- CP - Conditional Pardon
- AP - Absolute Pardon
- AP (E) - Exceptive Absolute Pardon
- Col - Colonial Pardon;
- Col P - Colonial Pardon
- Col CP - Colonial Conditional Pardon
- Col FP - Colonial Free Pardon
- RW - Royal Pardon Warrant
- FP - Free Pardon
- CP (1C) - First Class Conditional Pardon
- CP (2C) - Second Class Conditional Pardon