- Record series in the index (note: the listing is not a complete list of all these sources):
- NRS 905 1836, 1837, 1839 [4/2377], Reel 2208 [4/2378, 4/2316.3] Reel 2203, COD 394, [4/2399.1] COD 397
- NRS 906 List of immigrants on various ships 1832-41, COD 394, [4/1126] and [4/2115.2] list of 50 free girls arrived by the Palambam, 1832
- NRS 939 Copies of letters sent outside the Colony,' Foreign', c.1841-43 [4/3525 pp 166-68, 177-78,199], Reel 900
- NRS 1155 [2/8244, 2/8253, 2/8255, 2/8256, 2/8259, 2/8268, 2/8278, 2/8279]
- NRS 5307 [9/6184]
- NRS 5309
- NRS 5310
- NRS 5313
- NRS 5314 (Reels 1298, 1301, 1307, 1321, 1325)
- NRS 5316 (Reels 2134, 2135)
- COD425 (List of Female Emigrants per James Pattison, 1836 [Xerox copy of original at ML A1216, CY 652])
- COD112 (List of passengers on Board the Lady McNaughton, 1837 [Xerox copy of original at ML A1267-15 pp. 223-72])
- Entries in the index: 9,000+
This index was compiled by our staff and readers (the late Joan Reese, Ann Smith, and the late Norma Tuck) and was for many years only available in the reading room. Special mention should be made of Ann Smith who indexed NRS 5313, Persons on Government Ships, Aug 1837-Feb 1840.
A note on some of the ships and the records
Juliana, Mary Hay and Morayshire
The Juliana left Gravesend, England bound for Sydney on 20 October 1838 and was wrecked at Green's Point, Table Bay, Cape of Good Hope on 19 January 1839. The Mary Hay and Morayshire were chartered to convey the immigrants from the Juliana to Sydney. Some people chose to remain at the Cape of Good Hope.
For a listing of immigrants who were originally on the Juliana see NRS 5314, [4/4844], Reel 1303. Where a family member died during the voyage they are listed in the index under the family's ship of arrival.
For a return of births and deaths on the Mary Hay and Morayshire see NRS 5313, [4/4780 pp.282-283], Reel 2654.
NRS 5313, Persons on Government Ships, Aug 1837-Feb 1840, [4/4780] Reel 2654 and [4/4781], Reel 2668
Where a family is listed in this series usually only the name of the head of the family (such as the father or husband if a couple) appears to be listed by name, the wife and/or other family members appear as a statistic. Their names and details are usually to be found in NRS 5314 or other source given in the index.
Enter your search terms in the box to the right to search within:
First name, Surname, Ship and/or Date.