This page includes information about copy services provided in the reading room. See our Reading Room Guide for more information about using our facilities and handling uncopied State archives.
Photocopies ordered in the reading room - black and white (B&W)
- Loose papers (A4 & A3) - 45¢ per page
- Bound volumes; large format records (over A3) - $2.00 per page
- Microform - microfilm reel, microfiche, aperture card (A4) - $1.00 per page
- Microform - microfilm reel, microfiche, aperture card (A3) - $2.00 per page
- High resolution TIFF/JPG files of original (uncopied State archives) such as loose documents and photographs, maps and plans bound volumes - $25.00 each
- High resolution TIFF/JPG files of microform - $25.00 for the first image and $5.00 each additional image
- Digital images may be provided via digital download or posted on CD-ROM (we cannot email digital images) - $2.00 per CD
Self-service digital copiers and digital cameras in the reading room
- FREE - researchers should bring USB sticks to save images
External copying services
Charges will vary according to each individual order. A non-refundable fee of $25.00 is payable in advance.
Any additional charges are paid when collecting the order. If the order is to be posted, you will be invoiced or charged separately for the additional fees.
How long does it take to receive copies?
Guarantees of Service
Working days are Mondays - Fridays, excluding public holidays.
Reading room photocopy orders
- Up to 20 pages within 30 minutes
- Over 20 pages within 3 working days
Reader/prints of microform material
- Self service copying for researchers is available in the reading room
How can I collect my copies?
Photocopies ordered in the reading room may be collected from the reading room. Alternatively we can post you the copies for a fee.
We do not take responsibility for copies lost or damaged in the postal system.
NSW State Archives will not email digitised copies. Digitised copies are available via digital download or on CD-ROM. The CD will be available for collection in the reading room, or posted on request.
Can I copy original records myself?
There are no facilities for researchers to do their own photocopying of original records.
Self service reader printers and digital copiers are available in the reading room for microforms. Digital copies are saved to USB. You can bring your own USB or purchase one in the reading room. See our Reading Room Guide for information about copying from microform to USB.
Photography and scanning
You may copy original records in the reading room using a digital camera or an approved scanner. A self-service digital camera is available in the reading room. Digital copies are saved to USB - you can bring your own or purchase one in the reading room.
If you intend to use a scanner please contact the Senior Archivist, Access and Information before you visit.
You are also welcome to engage a professional photographer to copy an item in the reading room.
Permission to photograph original records is subject to the items being in good condition. Records should not be damaged, bent or mishandled in any way. See our Reading Room Guide for information about using digital cameras (flashes are not permitted) and scanners, and handling original records.
Postage and handling
Express postage is available on request.
|Number of pages||NSW/ACT/VIC||Other States|
|CD - standard postage||$6.00||$6.00|
|CD - express postage||POA||POA|
ARCHIVES IN BRIEF
This content first appeared in Archives in Brief 75 - Copying Services and Archives in Brief 18 - Guarantees of service. What's happened with Archives in Brief »