The State Records Act 1998 establishes a general entitlement to access to State records that are at least 30 years old. Not all such records, however, are open for public access. Some contain information, such as sensitive personal information, that require a longer period of closure. The Register of Access Directions lists whether records are open or closed to public access.
The register of access directions details the:
- scope of the records covered by a direction
- direction - open, closed or early access
- duration of closed to public access directions
- reasons given for a closed to public access direction
- public office responsible for the direction
- Principal Department for the public office