It's not often that we find physical objects in the collection. This imposing key belongs to Rookwood Asylum. It has survived in the Colonial Secretary's Letters Received and dates from 1887. The key was sent to the Colonial Secretary by the Department of Public Works following completion of work at the what they call the Rookwood Reformatory site. All other keys remained on site with the buildings.
Buildings at Rookwood had been intended for a Boys Reformatory but were authorised instead to provide shelter for infirm and destitute men.
Rookwood Aslyum opened in 1893.
NRS 905 [1/2651B]