Newtown, Alexandria and Bourke Street Baby Clinics
This photographic series consists of modern reproductions of photographs thought to have been taken in 1914 when the first baby clinics were opened. The black and white photographs were possibly taken or commissioned by the Department of Public Health and may have formed part of a larger project of photographing health services to children as contemporary photographs exist for other health services.
NRS 4873 - The purpose of the series appears to be to document the premises occupied by the clinics and to illustrate their functions. The photos include internal and external views of the clinics, mothers and babies in waiting rooms, babies receiving attention and possibly mothers holding babies being instructed by the nurses. The photographs bear no captions but the names of the clinics are written in pencil on the reverse of the photographs.