The Government established the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area in 1906, and from 1909 water was supplied from Burrinjuck Dam.
The printed booklet, commonly known as the “Gold Book”, was
issued to accompany the “Ceremony to Commemorate the Commencement of the Sydney Opera House” on 2 March 1959
At this ceremony the Premier, the Hon. J.J. Cahill M.L.A., positioned a plaque indicating the point from which all measurements of the Sydney Opera House would be taken. The booklet comprises a foreword by the Premier, comments on the Opera House, notes on the competition, the site, the design, and plans.
The booklet was printed in Sydney by V.C.N Blight, Government Printer in 1959.