#OnThisDay 10 August 1894 the new Sydney Hospital opened. When Governor Macquarie arrived in the Colony in 1810 the hospital was housed in tents in George St, The Rocks. Macquarie had the 'Rum Hospital' built on Macquarie Street but from the outset there were problems with the shoddy construction. The central building of the 'Rum Hospital' was demolished in 1879 to make way for a new Victorian Classical Revival building designed by Thomas Rowe. Problems with the budget meant the Hospital was not finished until 1894, under a revised design by architect John Kirkpatrick.
Sydney Hospital is the oldest hospital in Australia.
From the Collection
Browse the collection using "Sydney Hospital" as keywords.