#OnThisDay 14 September 1801 John Macarthur was arrested following a duel with his superior officer, Lieutenant Colonel William Paterson. Governor King sent Macarthur back to England to face his court martial. Macarthur resigned his commission and returned to NSW after a period of four years with plans to develop the wool industry. He had the backing of the Colonial Secretary, Lord Camden, and a grant of 5000 acres, which he claimed at Cowpastures and named Camden Park.
Elizabeth Farm House, built by John Macarthur in 1793, is under the care of Sydney Living Museums.
- See entry in Colonial Secretay's Papers under John Macarthur
- See entry in Colonial Secretary's Papers under Neil MacKellar (he and Captain Piper were Macarthur's seconds in the duel)
- See entry in Colonial Secretary's Papers under Wool
- Australian Dictionary of Biography entry for John Macarthur