#OnThisDay 17 August 1801 the Female Orphan School officially opened. The School was founded by Governor King and housed 31 girls who were taught needlework, spinning, reading and some writing. By May 1803 there were 104 girls at the Orphan School. Reverend Samuel Marsden performed a special ceremony and sermon for the opening.
- See our catalogue for about the Female Orphan School
- Browse the Colonial Secretary's papers under Orphan Instituition, Female
- View the Child Care and Protection research guide
- Search the Index to Child Care and Protection