#OnThisDay 22 January 1820 the Sydney Gazette published a notice about the creation of a new cemetery on Devonshire Street, Sydney. The cemetery was described as a "spacious burial ground" in the sandhills south of the brickfields, which is the site of the present-day Central Railway Station. The cemetery was consecrated in 1820 (the first interment actually took place in 1819) and operated until 1867. The site was then resumed in 1901 to allow for the development of the Central Railway Station and approximately one-third of the monuments and remains were relocated to other cemeteries.
The Register covers details of remains, and in some cases monuments, from Devonshire Street Cemetery following its resumption to make way for the development of Central Railway Station.
- See information about the Devonshire Street Cemetery Board [Agency 1961]
- Trove Newspaper article: The Sydney Gazette
From the Collection
The photo below is dated 1902.