#OnThisDay 22 October 1864 the Rookwood Cemetery Railway Line opened. The land that became the Rookwood Cemetery (officially called the Rookwood Necropolis) was purchased by the Government in 1862 from the estate of Edward Cohen. As the site at Haslem's Creek was some distance from the centre of Sydney it was decided to build a spur line and eventually four railway stations were built in the Cemetery grounds. Services ran twice a day for mourners and coffins until the late 1930s but was revived during World War II. The service was officially terminated in 1948.
Cemetery Station No. 1 was relocated to Canberra in the 1950s and is now the is now the All Saints Church in Ainslie.