#OnThisDay 30 March 1816 Francis Greenway was appointed as Civil Architect by Governor Macquarie. He had arrived in NSW as a convict aboard the General Hewitt in February 1814 to serve a fourteen year sentence for forgery. Greenway designed, among other buildings, the lighthouse at South Head, the Female Factory at Parramatta, the Convict Barracks in Sydney, churches at Windsor and Liverpool and the Courthouse at Windsor.
- From the archives: Francis Greenway, Architect and Engineer
- Australian Dictionary of Biography entry for Francis Greenway