4 Aug 1906 - (3rd) Sydney Central Railway Station opened

#OnThisDay 4 August 1906 the Central Railway Station in Sydney was officially opened. It is the largest railway station in Australia, servicing almost all of the lines on the railway network in Sydney. This was the third station on the southern Sydney site and was built on land previously used by the Devonshire St Cemetery, a convent, a female refuge, police barracks and the Benevolent Society.

The first train at the new station was the Western Mail train which arrived at 5:50am on 5 August 1906.

The 75m Gothic revival clock tower was added to the northwestern corner of the station in 1921.

Related

From the Collection

Browse photos and record listings of Central Railway Station