- Windsor was named after its namesake village in England
- Castlereagh after Lord Viscount Castlereagh
- Pittown after politician William Pitt
- Wilberforce after William Wilberforce, and
- Richmond from its beautiful surroundings.
In this episode Martyn highlights one of the most valuable and iconic parts of the State Archives collection: the Colonial Secretary's Correspondence. If you're researching someone who was a convict, free immigrant, someone who was naturalised, sent to gaol, or admitted to an asylum you may find references to them in these records.
Surveyors out working in the field would forward to the Surveyor General tracings and sketches as part of their work. We have digitised a quantity of these beautiful and informative drawings.