7 Oct 1916 - Taronga Zoo opened

#OnThisDay 7 October 1916 Taronga Zoo officially opened on the shores of Sydney Harbour in Mosman. Taronga Zoo was the first public zoo in New South Wales; it initially opened in 1884 at Billy Goat Swamp in Moore Park, on the site now occupied by Sydney Boys High and Sydney Girls High. 

The NSW Government granted 43 acres for the new bar-free zoo in Mosman. The zoo was home to monkeys, seals, elephants and over 500 birds.

Related

From the Collection