#OnThisDay 8 April 1826 the first street lamp in Sydney was lit at Macquarie Place (corner of Bridge and Loftus Streets). General lighting was switched on in Sydney the following year.
From the Collection
- Image 1: Macquarie Place in front of Lands Dept Building c.1900.
- Image 2: Macquarie Place and Lands Dept Building, post-1883 showing the statue of Thomas Mort.