#OnThisDay 8 Jul 1904 the streets of Sydney were lit by electricity for the first time when the Pyrmont power station was officially switched on.
A gold switch was specially commissioned for the occasion and was turned on by Amy Sarah Lees, wife of the Lord Mayor of Sydney. The gold switch is now in the Powerhouse Museum.
- See our catalogue for Administration files from the Electricity Commission of NSW (NRS 4197) and a map reference showing power stations in the Sydney area, 1950 (NRS 5407)
- Read the newspaper on Trove