What is the Caretaker period?
Successive State Governments over the years have accepted that special arrangements should be made in the period immediately before an election. In particular, the period following the dissolution of the Legislative Assembly. This period is known as “caretaker”. During caretaker, the government conducts business as usual, but no significant decisions, initiatives or appointments are made.
When is Caretaker?
The caretaker period for the upcoming NSW Election commences 1 March 2019, and runs until either:
- the current Government is returned (if the election result is clear) or;
- if there is a change of Government (and the new Premier is commissioned to form a Government).
What does Caretaker mean for NSW State Archives?
To protect the political neutrality of the public service, and to guarantee all parties a “fair go”, the following services will be paused:
- updates to our website including additions to Collection Search
- social media – updates to our social media accounts
- advertising – all advertising of NSW State Archives programs, initiatives and announcements.
What can NSW State Archives do during Caretaker?
We will still be open for business, and we will continue to provide the range of our usual access services to the State Archives Collection.
For all enquiries, please email us at email@example.com or phone us at 9673 1788.