To help protect the health and wellbeing of all visitors and staff and to minimise the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), the Reading Room at the Western Sydney Records Centre (WSRC) is open by appointment as follows:
- An appointment is required for every visitor to the Reading Room including children
- Appointments are subject to availability
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (or contraindication certificate) is a condition of entry
Conditions of entry
All visitors must comply with all current Public Health Orders issued by NSW Health in order to enter the Western Sydney Records Centre.
Visitors who enter the Western Sydney Records Centre must be willing to comply with all parts of our conditions of entry and agree to the following requirements to:
- Provide evidence as requested to confirm compliance with vaccination requirements (including contraindication certificates)
- Maintain physical distancing measures (as per current guidelines of NSW Health) with respect to staff and visitors;
- Visitors over the age of 12 must wear a fitted face covering over their mouth and nose as mandated in the current Public Health orders, unless evidence is available for verification that a lawful exemption applies;
- Check in using the Service NSW COVID-Safe check in system;
- Accept that they may be refused entry to the Western Sydney Records Centre in the event that the site has reached its total capacity under physical distancing requirements;
- Accept the right of NSW State Archives to refuse entry or request their departure from our site at any time; and
- At all times treat staff and visitors with respect.
Visitors and staff are not permitted to enter the Western Sydney Records Centre if they:
- Have not complied, or are not able to produce evidence of compliance, with vaccination requirements (including contraindication certificates)
- Are experiencing any Covid-19 symptoms
- Have not complied with a current NSW Health or employer direction to self-isolate
- Have not complied with a current Public Health Order.
Visitors are encouraged to read our Conditions of Entry Policy before visiting our museums and houses.
Personal information and contact tracing
On arrival you will be asked to check in using the Service NSW COVID Safe QR code. If you do not have the Service NSW app, you can download it for free below, to save time when you arrive. For customers without a smart phone we will record your details on another device.
Contact information from your Reader’s Ticket and your appointment booking may be used up to 28 days after your visit for tracing purposes, should exposure to COVID-19 in the Reading Room be reported.
Updates, enquiries and further information
These are temporary measures to ensure access to the Reading Room and the State Archives Collection while keeping the public and staff as safe as possible through social distancing. Thank you for your support and understanding at this time.
For enquiries, please contact us at email@example.com or (02) 9673 1788.
Further official information and advice on COVID-19 for community and businesses in NSW is available at https://preview.nsw.gov.au/covid-19 »
What to do next
- Apply for a readers ticket if you do not already hold one.
- Place a preorder in Collection Search for the original archives you plan to use. See information about preordering records in Collection Search »
- If you have any enquiries please contact us »
What to bring to the Reading Room
Please bring your own face masks, pencils and stationery.
If you wish to make copies of records we strongly suggest that you bring your own camera/tablet/smartphone or USB. Our paper-based photocopy service is still available but may be subject to delay and additional costs at this time.
The Reading Room is operating on a cashless basis. EFTPOS and credit card payment options are available.
If you plan on using a locker please bring your own $2 coin.
Hand sanitiser, gloves and cleaning products will be freely available in the Reading Room for your use.
The Reading Room
The Western Sydney Records Centre (WSRC) has ample parking and a well equipped readers lounge. Wheelchair access and accessible toilets are provided. Ramp access to the reading room is available via a separate entrance.
Facilities: Ample parking / Wheelchair & Ramp Access / Accessible Toilets / Digital Cameras / Self-service Copiers / USB Sticks / Reader's lounge / Free tea & coffee / Microwave / Fridge / Free Wi-Fi.
Local shops: Claremont Meadows, Caddens and Kingswood. There are no shops within walking distance – the new shopping centre at Caddens Corner is a hilly 800m walk away. We recommend you bring your lunch if you are staying the whole day.
We suggest that you also read Getting Started With Your Research Guide.
We are not accepting group visits at this time.
Driving from Sydney (approx. 50km)
- Take Parramatta Road to North Strathfield
- Turn onto the M4 motorway and continue to the Kent Road (Claremont Meadows) exit.
- Turn right onto Kent Road and follow as it changes to Gipps Road.
- Turn left into Sunflower Drive and follow the road around past the shops and Claremont Meadows Public School.
- Turn left into O'Connell Street and keep going until you reach the WSRC at 161 O'Connell Street on the left hand side of the road.
Driving from the Blue Mtns
- Take the Great Western Highway / M4 to the Northern Road exit
- Turn left onto the Northern Road and proceed to the Great Western Highway
- Turn right onto the Great Western Highway
- Turn right into O'Connell Street and keep going until you reach the WSRC. O'Connell St is L-shaped - follow it around the university to the WSRC.
- Buses from both Penrith and St Marys stations stop regularly at the WSRC (161 O'Connell Street). Please check the Busways website for timetables and details.