#OnThisDay 22 October 1864 the Rookwood Cemetery Railway Line opened. The land that became the Rookwood Cemetery (officially called the Rookwood Neocropolis) was purchased by the Government in 1862 from the estate of Edward Cohen. As the site at Haslem's Creek was some distance from the centre of Sydney it was decided to build a spur line and eventually four railway stations were built in the Cemetery grounds. Services ran twice a day for mourners and coffins until the late 1930s but was revived during World War II.
#OnThisDay 21 October 1920 Eugenia Falleni was convicted of murdering her first 'wife'.
#OnThisDay 20 October 1973 the Sydney Opera House was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II. Work had began on the building in 1959 and was completed in 1973 at a cost of $102 million. The official opening was celebrated with fireworks and a performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9.
The first public performance was the month before on 28 September 1973.
#OnThisDay 19 October 1872 the Beyers and Holtermann nugget, the largest single piece of reef gold ever discovered in the world was found by workers of the Star of Hope Mining Company at Hill End. Hill End was a gold mining township in central-west NSW and in the town's heyday there were more than 200 companies working there.
The Beyers and Holtermann nugget weighed about 286 kg and was 150cm by 66cm.
#OnThisDay 18 October 1909, New South Wales agreed to surrender approximately 2400 square kilometres of the state to the Commonwealth for the creation of the Australian Capital Territory. The agreement was signed by Prime Minister Alfred Deakin and NSW Premier Charles Wade.
Sample from the Gallery
#OnThisDay 14 October 1829 Governor Darling proclaimed the Nineteen Counties of NSW which redefined the 'limits of location'. Settlers were only allowed to take up land within these Counties but from the earliest time there was always some unauthorised occupation (or squatting) of Crown Lands both within and outside the 'limits of location'.
#OnThisDay 14 October 1960 Warragamba Dam was officially opened. Construction started in 1948 and took 12 years to build.
From the Collection
#OnThisDay 13 October 1933 Australia's first traffic lights began operating in Sydney. The lights were installed at the intersection of Market and Kent Streets in Sydney's CBD. They were switched on by the then Minister for Transport, Colonel Michael Bruxner at 11am.
It was another four years before more traffic lights were installed.
#OnThisDay 11 October 1906 the Coat of Arms of New South Wales was granted by Royal Warrant. The Coat of Arms depicts a rising sun, with lion and kangaroo supporters and a shield with blue (azure) field with silver (argent) cross voided red (gules). The cross has a gold (or) star on each arm and a gold (or) lion in the centre. There are golden fleece in the first and fourth quarters and a wheat sheaf in the second and third quarters of the cross.
#OnThisDay 9 October 1829 emancipists (former convicts) became eligible for jury service in NSW. At this time a jury consisted of 12 men only. Before the 1823 Charter of Justice, if both parties to a civil action agreed, a jury could be appointed while in criminal cases all trials were to take place before a judge and jury of seven military or naval officers.