Judge, Supreme Court of New South Wales, 13/07/1981 - 11/04/1988
Mayor of Woollahra Municipal Council, 1973
Thomas O'Loghlen Reynolds was born on 30 April 1931 in Victoria, the son of Arthur Hamilton Lapping Reynolds. His uncle Edward Russell Reynolds was a prominent Victorian barrister and later Member of the Legislative Assembly for Toorak. Thomas was educated at Melbourne Grammar School and at the University of Sydney (LLB 1957). (1)
Reynolds was called to the New South Wales Bar on 15 March 1957 and practised out of 180 Phillip Street, Sydney, and, after 1963, 174 Phillip Street, primarily in the Common Law jurisdiction. He was a Council member of the New South Wales Bar Association from 1973/74 to 1975/76. Made a Queen's Counsel in 1976, he was admitted to the Bars of the Australian Capital Territory, Victoria, Tasmania and Papua New Guinea. (2)
He was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales from 13 July 1981 and was still in office when he died. (3)
Reynolds was the Mayor of Woollahra in 1973. (4)
Reynolds died after a long illness on 11 April 1988 at the age of 56. He was survived by his wife Jennifer Ann and their two sons and two daughters. (5)
1. Who's Who in Australia, Melbourne, The Herald and Weekly Times Ltd, 1983, pp.722-3; 1985, p.718; Australia Law Journal, Vol.63, p.64 (January 1989); 're-member - Parliament of Victoria' Reynolds, Edward Russell Thomas', http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/re-member/biogregfull.cfm?mid=1397 (cited 10 September 2008); University of Sydney Calendar, 1953 Supplement, pp.200-201; 1954 Supplement, p.209; 1955-1956 Supplement, pp.214-5; 1958, p.1160; 1959, p.1039 http://calendararchive.usyd.edu.au/index.php (cited 21-22 June 2008).
2. Barrister and Solicitors Admission Boards; NRS 13665, Roll of Barristers, 17 February 1927-10 June 1955; Reel 2147, p.4; Australian Law Journal, Vol.55, p.707 (September 1981); New South Wales Law Almanac, Sydney, NSW Government Printer, 1958, p.85; 1962, p.93; 1964, p.94; 1974, p.72; 1975, p.72; 1976, p.54; 1978, p.93; 1980, p.122; Who's Who in Australia, op.cit.
3. New South Wales Law Reports, Sydney, Law Book Company Ltd, 1983, Vol.3, p.ix; Australian Law Journal, Vol.55, p.707 (September 1981); Vol.63, p.64 (January 1989).
4. Woollahra Municipal Council Website. 'History', http://www.woollahra.nsw.gov.au/council/mayor_and_councillors/history (cited 10 September 2008).
5. Who's Who in Australia, op.cit.; Sydney Morning Herald, 13 April 1988, p.52.