Series Date range
Contents Date range
The New South Wales Court Act 1787 provided for the establishment of the first New South Wales Courts by executive action, achieved with the issue of these Letters Patent.
This copy of the Charter of Justice was the official one sent to the Colony. It was probably held initially by the Secretary to the Governor and later maintained by the Colonial Secretary's Department
The New South Wales Charter of Justice, Letters Patent is the authority for the establishment of the first New South Wales Courts of Criminal and Civil Jurisdiction. The Charter of Justice is in the form of Letters Patent providing for a Deputy Judge-Advocate and six court officers to be appointed by the Governor and the establishment of a Civil Court. The Governor was required to give his permission to any death sentence imposed by the Court, and was empowered to give pardons. The Civil Court had the power to deal with disputes over property and had jurisdiction over wills and estates. As the provision for establishing a Civil Court had not been included in the Act there was no legislative basis for its foundation.
The Charter was superseded on 2 April 1814 by the second Charter of Justice.
Microfiche copy of [X24 part] at State Records Fiche 3295. Digital copies and further information are available on the Documenting A Democracy website. This series forms part of the Archives Resources Kit which can be used in many locations throughout New South Wales.
Digital copies are also available for this series.
Electronic Item Lists Available