Railway Supply Detachment
About the Railway Supply Detachment
The First Australian Railway Supply Detachment, 11th AASC, was recruited in September, 1914, by (then) Lieutenant E.O.Milne, the personnel being specially chosen from the staff of the New South Wales Government Railways, each Branch of the Department being represented.
The Unit sailed from Sydney on HMAT Berrima, (No. A.35) on 19th December, 1914. It had been encamped at premises then known as "The Warren" in Marrickville, (since demolished), which prior to occupation by the army, had been a convent.
The photograph was taken in the grounds of "The Warren", in December 1914. The original picture is in the possession of Mr GR Asprey (formerly of the Traffic Branch), an original member of the Unit.
The trophy in front of the group - a fighting boomerang and a "return" boomerang - was presented to the Unit by Mr E Milne, at that time District Superintendent, Orange and later as Assistant Commissioner.
For more information
See Archives Invesigator NRS 17420 for more information on the State Rail Authority Archives Photographic Reference Print Collection.
We would appreciate any feedback and suggestions you may have on using the Index.